Sunday, May 25, 2014

#YesAllWomen

Now I normally don't jump on twitter bandwagons but this one is different. This one is raising a HUGE issue that many women face every single day. There have been other ways of trying to get this across to the general public (mainly the male populace), but it hasn't yet completely worked- I personally loved the french video that switched gender roles to show exactly what happens in day to day life, see that gem here (Oppressed Majority). heads up you do need to be over 18 to view that one. But the fact remains that women are still paid less than men, women are still expected to 'be there' for men, that dress codes are pointed out to women, that we are taught to expect crude comments and get told to 'take them as compliments', that if we do complain we are hysterical, that saying this makes me a feminist and 'why don't I just go and sleep with women if men offend me so much.' (yes, that is a quote). The fact remains that women are taught how to not get raped, yet boys and men are not taught to not rape. The fact remains that I have to be careful about how I dress and where (some of this is valid- I'm not gonna rock up to a job interview in sweats, but it also doesn't mean I should have to show the little cleavage I have to simply get the job.) And I have to be careful about what exactly I say when I'm out having fun. A guy grabs my ass and says I should feel good about myself? Yeah, think again. You grab my ass and I want to deck you (but I can't do that cause it's not lady like). Every woman I know has stories of being objectified daily. Yes daily. And for the men out there who don't believe me, who sit there reading this (if they've even gotten this far anyway, thank you to those who have) and say that I'm whining, take note of how often you personally say 'I wish I could do this or that (insert your own crude message in there) to that babe', 'I'm not gonna be happy if I don't get some tonight, I'm gonna make sure I get some tonight'... or others of the sort. Now imagine you being on the receiving end of that. We live in a culture where a guy not getting what he wants is more important than a women having control over her body. We live in a culture where if someone gets raped, they have to question if it had happened cause 'was I asking for it?' 'is it okay to say no at any time?' 'can I change my mind?' 'it was only sort of rape'. THIS NEEDS TO STOP. Lets get one thing straight guys if a girl says no- at any point- it means no. it means stop. it means fuck off (excuse the language).
This gets to me cause I have been in those situations. I have said no and a guy has kept going, I have been scared for my life walking down a street at night, I have been in a relationship where a guy can ask for anything he wants but as soon as I voice one opinion about what I want, I'm being clingy and needy and 'a girl'. I'm not saying this to get sympathy, I'm saying it to show that, guess what, it happens everyday to every woman.
so yes, this discussion needs to be had. have that discussion with your children, sons, brothers, dads, mums, parents, sisters, nieces, nephews, cause its not on and I'm no longer gonna sit back and let it happen. #yesallwomen are strong

No comments:

Post a Comment